Stainless steel strapping is increasingly used for its high versatility, shock resistance and durability. It offers many advantages over steel and other strapping materials. Besides, the method of applying these straps also varies based on different needs and applications. There are many reasons why more industries are now using stainless steel (SS) strapping.
Importance of SS Strapping
High tensile strength is one of the main reasons why stainless steel strapping is gaining so much importance in different industries. The material offers the maximum-possible tensile strength in the industry. It is the perfect material for heavy duty applications where there is minimal room for stretching.
SS strapping is ideally suited for loads that don’t need to be opened during transportation. There is no room for accidental package opening during transportation.
Advantages of Stainless Steel Strapping
There are many advantages of using SS strapping over other materials. This includes:
- Resisting chemicals, moisture, heat, UV radiations, salts and cold temperatures.
- Strong resistance to corrosion.
- Highly durable and extremely high strength.
- Extremely high break strength.
Break strength is the amount of weight a material can take before it breaks. SS strapping has massive break strength. This is why it’s the No.1 option when it comes to choosing strapping materials for heavy shipments. Because it has very high UV resistance, it doesn’t corrode even when exposed to sunlight for a very long time. Stainless steel strapping can be used for both outdoor and indoor applications with equal benefits.
Stainless steel strapping is being increasingly used in different industries including:
- Metal and alloy industry
- Steel industry
- Railroad industry
- Oil refinery
- Timber industry
It is also the perfect strapping material for use with bundle cables and outdoor signs. Using SS straps can help in reducing expenses involved in replacement and maintenance.
How to Choose the Right Strapping?
The choice of the right type of strapping depends on the application. The commonly available metal strapping options and their benefits are as following:
- Stainless Steel Strapping: It is designed for strapping applications involved in extreme outdoor and indoor conditions where there is need for best quality strapping. SS strapping provides excellent or extreme break strength, UV resistance, and good amount of elongation.
- Regular Steel Strapping: It is suited for heavy shipments where there is need for additional protection against poly strapping. This type of strapping provides good level of break strength and UV resistance. Corrosion resistance and elongation is fair.
- High-Tensile Steel Strapping: It is suited for applications that require the level of durability required in railroad shipments. It provides excellent break strength and UV resistance. There is good elongation but fair amount of corrosion resistance.
- Zinc Coated Steel Strapping: This type of steel strapping is suited for applications where the load will be exposed to the elements for the long term. It provides good level of elongation and excellent UV resistance and break strength. It is also highly resistant to corrosion.